A frenetic horseshoe search, the “Mixer on Middle,” a spicy chili cookoff, tailgating – oh, and a football game, too! – are only a few events guaranteed to bring excitement to MTSU’s Centennial Homecoming 2011 celebration.
“A Centennial Homecoming: Look to the Future, Remember the Past” will bring together students, staff, alumni and friends to celebrate the University’s 100th year in a special way.
“The Homecoming Committee is excited to celebrate the Centennial homecoming with the MTSU community,” says Donald Abels, homecoming director for MTSU’s Student Government Association and a senior organizational-communication major.
“With it being the centennial year, it’s our expectation for this year’s homecoming to be the best yet.”
This year’s activities include:
- a Paint the Halls Blue Contest on Friday, Sept. 23;
- the Homecoming Golf Tournament at Champions Run Golf Course on Saturday, Sept. 24;
- the Old School Homecoming 5K Run at 8 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 25, at the MTSU Student Health, Wellness and Recreation Center;
- the Homecoming Kickoff, 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 26, at the intramural fields;
- a Chili Cookoff at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27, on the Murphy Center lawn;
- a Horseshoe Pursuit Competition, 8 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 28;
- the induction of the Class of 1961 into the Golden Raiders Society at a special reunion ceremony on Friday, Sept. 30;
- the National Pan-Hellenic Council Step Show at 7 p.m. Sept. 30 at Murphy Center;
- the annual “Mixer on Middle” Homecoming Parade-Watching Party at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, at the Alumni House, 2259 Middle Tennessee Blvd.;
- the Homecoming Parade at noon on Oct. 1 along Middle Tennessee Boulevard;
- a special alumni tailgate lunch from 1 to 3 p.m. Oct. 1 at the Alumni House ($7.50 adults, $5 children; reservations required);
- the Raider Walk at 3:45 p.m. Oct. 1 in Walnut Grove; and
- 6 p.m. kickoff for the MTSU Blue Raiders vs. the University of Memphis in Floyd Stadium.
The annual Fight Song Competition on Saturday, Oct. 29, in Walnut Grove also is part of the Centennnial Homecoming celebration, so add it to your calendar, too!
Campus Recreation is co-sponsoring the Old School 5K Run and Homecoming Kickoff. The Department of Student Programming is the co-sponsor of the Fight Song Competition.
For more information, including fees and entry-form deadlines, for SGA-sponsored events, go to www.mtsu.edu/sga and click on “Homecoming” or call the SGA office at 615-898-2464. The official Facebook page is www.facebook.com/mtsuhomecoming, and you can follow @mtsuhomecoming on Twitter.
For more details and a full list of alumni Homecoming events, visit www.mtalumni.com or call the Office of Alumni Relations at 800-533-6878.
– Gina K. Logue (Gina.Logue@mtsu.edu) and Rhonda King (email@example.com).