MTSU’s military science program ushered in the fall 2016 semester with a brief but formal swearing-in ceremony as 18 newly contracted students took the oath Friday, Aug. 19, on campus after passing their physical training exercise Aug. 18.
“New cadets take the oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, which, at their age, is very impressive,” said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jackie McDowell, who leads the program and administered the oath to the 18- to 21-year-olds.
“It’s significant that our nation has been at war since they were 5 years old. They took an oath knowing at some point they will be deployed and be in harm’s way.”
New cadets include:
- Terrah Black of Clarksville, Tennessee.
- Anthony Burton of Jackson, Michigan.
- Chance Cunningham of Franklin, Tennessee
- Bryce DeLozier of Dalton, Georgia.
- John Gibbons of Pleasant View, Tennessee.
- Benjamin Gober of Gadsden, Alabama.
- Antonio Hiles of Wartrace, Tennessee.
- Daryl Jackson of Memphis, Tennessee.
- Nicholas King of Nolensville, Tennessee.
- Christian Moskovitz of Memphis.
- Sydney Moskovitz of Tampa, Florida.
- Jonathan Nunley of Winchester, Tennessee.
- Allison Perkins of Gallatin, Tennessee.
- Devin Pope of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Bryce Teague of Franklin, Tennessee.
- Brandon Valentin of Smyrna, Tennessee.
- Seth Whitehead of Tullahoma, Tennessee.
- Thomas Wiseman of Murfreesboro.
— Randy Weiler (Randy.Weiler@mtsu.edu)